February 13, 2005

Bodyscan

An exhibition at the Cornerhouse by Eva Wohlgemuth, (www.evahohlgemuth.com/BODYSCAN/ ) with a strapline quotation:

“The smallest text file of me is 1MB, so I fit on a disk; you can just about recognise me as a wireframe, but when it’s rendered there can be no doubt, It is me! So, am I more than just my data set – as we always assumed – or has my data set become an essential requirement for me to assert my position in cyberspace?”

The show is a series of screens featuring brightly coloured slow-motion animation of Wohlgemuth’s static naked body plus a series of plinths topped by modelled figurines of the same body and on the way out of the gallery a bank of computers featuring web links and coding for these digital projections. Basically, we can cut to the chase and answer the above question: (there certainly is doubt that it is you) and yes you are more than your data set. The physical/virtual elements are clumsy, and have no more interest than if these were watercolour self-portraits or clay models. By focusing attention on a dataset that is only the blunt topography of scans, Wohlgemuth asks no questions of the phenomenology of technological interface and offers no insights beyond the data set surface.

Gaza, Take This Cup from Me

a Compendious Book on Guernica reruns in a place Urim and Thummim chose to transform every figure A cheap breastplate as random as desul...